Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dedication

Yesterday I ran. I did nothing else all day, unless you considering napping and watching movies something.* Around 1 pm I checked the local weather - 49 degrees, chance of rain 50% (looked out the window, 100%) and WINDY! Being from northeast Ohio this revved me up and I thought to myself "What a perfect day to run!" Crazy, I know. There's something about autumn in Ohio, the slight (to moderate, to intense) chill in the air, the dampness that seeps into the core of your bones, it's all part of that wonderful Ohio experience. In honor of the weather I decided I would run on the towpath. As I was gearing up a wave of panic came over me, what should I wear?! Up until yesterday the weather had been mostly moderate and pleasant. What does a running enthusiast wear in chilly/rainy weather? Luckily, I had Women's Complete Guide to Running by Jeff & Barbara Galloway on hand. According to their chapter of attire I should have donned a long sleeve light weight shirt, shorts or tights, and mittens or gloves. Not to shirk the advice of real runners, but I had to tweak the suggestion. I have long sleeve running shirts, but they're all meant for some serious cold (this is Ohio after all...) and mittens??!! For serious? I'd look like a pansy ass on the towpath with mittens when it hasn't even reached freezing yet. I decided upon tights with a skirt, a t-shirt (the fancy kind that makes your sweat not stick to you), and my fleece vest. Since I am a dork and have to wear glasses, a ball cap was also necessary.

I decided to start at the trail head that has the most hills, granted they are small and sloping, but hills nonetheless. I parked the car, stretched out the ITB (coming off some not so fun injuries) and I was gone! The run was pleasant, I pushed myself for some much needed speed. The towpath was covered in downed twigs, branches, walnuts, buckeyes and leaves. I almost took a spill trying to maneuver between the walnuts, but I manged to stay upright. The rain had turned into a mist, that was refreshing when it wasn't annoying. The end result, a good run.

So the point of all of this: I ran. I have been a fair weather running enthusiast for about a year now. A few months ago a day like yesterday would have been enough for me to stay on the couch and not get out there. I feel dedicated this time, I feel excited and eager to keep on running. (In February when there's ice on the ground, the high for the day is 20 degrees and snow is falling - please remind me of my dedication!!)

* I am not a bum. I am in academia with a kick ass schedule where I work only two days a week.

1 comment:

  1. Great job getting out there. On days like that, I prefer to run between the raindrops. Your dedication is inspiring. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete